We Are Here To Serve You
The National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives (NOBLE) was founded in September, 1976, during a three day symposium to address crime in urban low income areas. The symposium was co-sponsored by the Police Foundation and the Law Enforcement Assistance Administration (LEAA).
The Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies (JCPES) coordinated this unprecedented event in which sixty (60) top-ranking black law enforcement executives representing twenty-four (24) states and fifty-five (55) major cities gathered in the Washington, D.C. area to participate.
They exchanged views about the critically high rate of crime in black urban communities and the socioeconomic conditions that lead to crime and violence. They raised questions about relevant issues such as fairness in the administration of justice, police community relations, the hiring and promotion of black police officers, and the unique problems of the black police executive.
- To unify Black Law Enforcement Officers at executive and command levels
- To conduct research in relevant areas of law enforcement
- To establish linkages and liaisons with organizations of similar concern
- To evaluate and recommend legislation relating to the criminal justice process
- To establish effective means and strategies for dealing with racism in the field of criminal justice
- To develop communication techniques for sensitizing police executives, police officers, institutions and agencies in the criminal justice system to the problems of the black community
- To develop mechanisms that will facilitate the exchange of information among black police executives
- To articulate the concerns of Black Executives in law enforcement
To ensure equity in the administration of justice in the provision of public service to all communities, and to serve as the conscience of law enforcement by being committed to justice by action.
The Washington DC Metropolitan Area Chapter is one of the most active chapters in NOBLE. Our members believe in giving back to communities we serve!